Tasty Tuesday Twofer: Zucchini Treats for Dogs and HumansPosted: May 27, 2014
Last week my friend Miss Gaye (human mother to The Big Dogs) gave my human mommy a beautiful homegrown zucchini, and Mommy decided to make Zucchini Mini Muffins for humans. What? Mommy was actually taking time to prepare a special treat that wasn’t for me? I know. I was shocked too. But then the most wonderful thing happened: Mommy realized that she still had half of that beautiful zucchini left. Naturally, she began an Internet search for the perfect zucchini dog treat recipe. I knew she wouldn’t forget about me.
She settled on a Whole Wheat Zucchini Pupcake recipe from Doggie Stylish. The ingredient list is very simple:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grated zucchini
She combined all the ingredients except the zucchini, mixed well, and then added the zucchini, ensuring that it was evenly distributed in the batter. I was in charge of quality control, and I can tell you that my mommy did an excellent job of mixing.
She spooned the batter into a lined muffin tin, popped the muffin tin into the oven–which she had preheated to 375F–and baked the Whole Wheat Zucchini Pupcakes for 25 to 30 minutes. Now I will tell you that I truly did not understand the whole baking step. I thought the batter was perfectly fine before the pupcakes were baked . . .
. . . but then when I saw that the pupcakes more than doubled in size, I was pretty happy that I had waited for them to cook. And boy did those nice warm Whole Wheat Zucchini Pupcakes ever taste yummy.
Now I know what you’re thinking: Miss Harper Lee, you promised a Tasty Tuesday twofer. Where’s that recipe for the human zucchini treats? Here it is, and it comes from Cooking Light magazine so it’s good for you. The ingredient list is a little longer than the pupcake recipe, but it’s still pretty simple:
- 6 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1-1/3 cups)
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2/3 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini, or the half of the large zucchini that’s left over after you’ve made Whole Wheat Zucchini Pupcakes)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour in dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next five ingredients (through allspice) in a large bowl.
- Combine zucchini and next five ingredients (through egg) in a small bowl; stir with a whisk.
- Add zucchini mixture to flour mixture, stirring batter just until combined.
- Divide batter evenly among 24 miniature muffin cups coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400F for 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of muffins comes out clean.
So if you find yourself with a beautiful large zucchini, head into the kitchen to make Whole Wheat Zucchini Pupcakes for your puppy dog friends and Zucchini Mini Muffins for your human friends. It’s a tasty twofer that will make everyone happy.
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…