Posted: August 4, 2017 Filed under: Dogs I Like, People I Like, Things I Like | Tags: Awards, Blogging, Dogs, Golden Retriever, Harper Lee, One Lovely Blog Award, Pet Photography, Pets, Tallulah, Thek9harperlee
Several weeks ago, my friend Mia from It’s a Pibble’s Life! nominated me for the One Lovely Blog Award. I cannot thank her enough. Mia is an amazing girl. She lives in Vancouver with her humom and her furbrother, Keiko. Click here to pay Mia a little visit. You’re likely to find her playing in the ocean or racing through the forest. I’ve decided to delegate the duties associated with this award to my little sister, Tallulah. This is a really big deal. It’s her first time to speak on my blog. She just has to do two things: 1) Tell us seven things about herself and 2) nominate 15 bloggers to receive the award. Sounds simple, right? You obviously don’t know my little sister, but here goes.
Seven Facts About Me, Tallulah Bee
1. I am a super happy girl. Ok, before I get started, let me just say Wow! I’m blogging! Sissy’s finally letting me speak! Ok, enough of that. I better get serious before she pulls the plug on this little experiment. Where was I? Oh, that’s right. I am a super happy girl. I mean just look at my smile. I’m always smiling and my tail is always wagging.
2. I have a lot of nicknames. My registered name is Rhythm’s Tallulah Bee for Harper Lee. That’s kind of a lot to say, so humans just call me Tallulah. Unless I’m in trouble. And then my human mommy calls me Tallulah Bee, which to me sounds like “Stop it now!” But when I’m being good (which, for the record, is most of the time), my humans call me Bee, Buzzy Bee, Woo Bee, Bee Girl, Bubba, Bubba Bee, and Bubz.
3. I love to watch television. Actually, I love to watch video on anything–televisions, computers, smartphones, anything. I especially like to watch animals, but I also enjoy sporting events and pharmaceutical commercials with little cartoon-like characters. Now you’re going to be looking for those, aren’t you?
4. I’m rather fond of human beds. Technically, I’m not allowed on human beds. But sometimes I just can’t help myself. And when I do take the forbidden leap? Well, I’m just so super cute that the humans give in. Unless the bed is freshly made, and then that’s another story.
5. When it comes to food, I’m a bit of a pig. I have a tendency to inhale my meals, so I have this fancy pink bowl that slows me down. Very slightly.
6. I have a drinking problem. Not that kind of drinking problem, sillies. I mean I am not a neat drinker. And I drink gallons of water, so you’d think I’d be better at it. But I’m not. I kind of forget to swallow, and then water runs out of my mouth. Everywhere. Sorry about that, Mommy.
7. I love my big sister with all of my heart. Harper Lee has been the best big sister ever. She’s been patient and kind, and she always looks out for me. I love sleeping right next to her. And sometimes on her.
And my nominees for the One Lovely Blog Award are . . .
It said up there in the rules that I’m supposed to nominate 15 bloggers for this award. Hey. I’m just a puppy. (Ok, I’m two, but Mommy says we’re using that puppy excuse until I’m three.) I have a short attention span. Fifteen is a big number. How about if I just do eight? That’s more than half, right? And how about if I tell my nominees that they aren’t obligated to follow all of those silly award rules unless they want to. I just want them to know that I’m really happy that my big sister introduced me to them and I really like what they do.
Cast Light — This blog reminds us that we can we choose to “cast shadows” (gossip, complaints, cynicism) or to “cast light” (enthusiasm, encouragement, generosity). Golden Retriever Abby and Samoyed Sasha make the occasional appearance.
Gardens for Goldens — Escape to the beauty of the Memorial Garden at Homeward Bound Golden Retriever Rescue and Sanctuary and meet the people and dogs who make it such an enchanting place.
Golden Kali — Golden Retriever Kali lives with her little sister Kloe, also a Golden, in the Sierra Foothills of Northern California. Hey, kind of sounds like my big sister and me, except we live below sea level in South Louisiana.
Home Sweet Home Wyoming — Check out the big blue skies and meet cute pups Bear and Sammy.
Peace With My Life: Comfort and Compassion Out of Chaos — From time to time, we’re all surrounded by a bit of chaos (you should see my living room when I decide to take all the toys out of the toy basket), so it’s nice to know where you can go for a little peace, comfort, and compassion. And you’ll get to meet a cute pup named Jazz.
Piglove — Meet Bacon, the cutest, funniest little piggy ever. And follow the adventures of the whole Hotel Thompson gang. Warning: You will definitely laugh.
Saving Sammie: An Adoption Story — Follow the adventures of sisters Sammie (a German Shepherd) and Emma (a Doodleman Pinscher). And these girls have two cats. Not so sure that would work at my house. Haha!
Tails Around the Ranch — Sam and Elsa are Standard Poodles. Sam does pet therapy at a large hospital and hospice center and Elsa is his pesky sister who gets into trouble. Hmmmmm, sounds familiar.
So, if you choose, here are the One Lovely Blog Award rules:
- Thank the person (or dog) that nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- List the rules.
- Display the award on your post.
- List seven facts about yourself.
- Nominate 15 bloggers (give or take) for this award and comment on one of their posts to let them know you have nominated them.
But feel free to ignore the rules. I do it all the time. And have a fabulous weekend!
Love, Tallulah Bee
Posted: August 8, 2014 Filed under: Things I Like | Tags: Awards, Blogging, Dogs, Dysplasia, Golden Retriever, Harper Lee, Liebster Award, Pet Photography, Pets, Photography, The Lighthouse Award, Thek9harperlee
A few months ago, my kitty cat friend Marty the Manx was sweet enough to present me with The Lighthouse Award. (Yes, cats and dogs can be friends . . . at least on the Internet.)
The Lighthouse Award comes with three very simple rules:
- You must thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog.
- You must list three ways in which you like to help people through your blog.
- You may pass it on to however many other bloggers you’d like – no limits.
Many, many thanks to Marty for this lovely award. I hope you’ll take a second to click here and drop in on Marty and his fur siblings–one kitty and three puppy dogs–at MusingsbyMartyManx. Now for three ways that I like to help people through my blog.
- I like to make people (and assorted animal readers) smile. If you’re smiling right now–and I truly hope you are–then I’ve done my job.
- From time to time, I share information about living with hip and elbow dysplasia. (You can click here, here, and here to read the posts I’ve written, with a little help from my blogging assistant/human mommy.) I hope that the information I share will be useful to other dogs who are diagnosed with dysplasia and that it will help to ease the worries of their humans.
- I like to give humans ideas for fun activities they can do with their precious pets (or should that be fun activities that pets can do with their precious humans?), including baking healthy treats, going out to eat, hitting the road for overnight adventures, or simply enjoying a fun walk on a beautiful day.
I’m sharing this award with a few of my blogging friends who also happen to be Instagram friends. Twice the fun!
- Barking from the Bayou (on IG @mkclinton)–Fellow Louisiana resident and LSU football fan M.K. Clinton, along with her Basset Hound Bentley and granddog Pierre the Westie, deliver product reviews, dog tips, and a whole lot of laughs.
- BearHUGs Forever (on IG @rosyrue)–Toy Poodle Rosy is one lucky dog: She lives in beautiful San Diego and gets to visit the beach on a regular basis; she has a fabulous wardrobe; and she has her very own dog, Annie the Cocker Spaniel.
- Miley’s Daily Scoop (on IG @mileysdailyscoop)–What could possibly be more fun than one Golden Retriever? How about two Golden Retrievers (Miley and Bruin) and a Golden Lab (Maggie). And then, of course, there’s beautiful Belle the cat.
Before I go, I have two more friends to thank: Thank you to Lorian at dogdaz for giving me the Liebster Award a couple of months ago. (Wow, do you realize that it’s August and my human mommy/blogging assistant is just getting around to thanking my friends for awards that they presented to me in May and June. Seriously, I may have to dock her pay.) You can click here for my Liebster Award post from a couple of years ago . . . and then you’ll find out if I’ve ever been in a bar brawl. And have you noticed the beautiful bandanas I’m wearing in all of my pictures? They’re a gift from my Instagram friend @johnanng, human mother to three rowdy retrievers living in Florida. Thank you @johnanng! Looks like I’m going to need more closet space.
Posted: July 25, 2014 Filed under: Dogs I Like, People I Like, Things I Like | Tags: Animal Rescue, Animal Welfare, Arizona Golden Retriever Connection, Awards, AZGRC, Blogging, Devon, Dogs, French Bulldog, Golden Retriever, Harper Lee, North Devon, Pet Photography, Pets, Shine on Award, Thek9harperlee
What girl doesn’t like shiny things: diamonds, pretty shoes, new cars, a bright smile? Well, this Golden girl is no different, and I recently received the best shiny thing ever from not one but two very bright and shiny blogs.
Posted: September 24, 2013 Filed under: Dogs I Like, People I Like, Things I Like | Tags: Awards, Books, Books by Dogs, Bouquet of Three Award, Castor & Pollux, Dogs, Golden Retriever, Harper Lee, Ku, Pets, South Louisiana, Sugar the Golden Retriever, Super Sweet Blogging Award, The Versatile Blogger Award, Thek9harperlee
Lagniappe (pronounced lann-yapp) is a word that people in South Louisiana use to mean something extra. It’s like getting a really good ice cream sundae that already has chocolate and whipped cream and nuts and a cherry, and then someone adds sprinkles to the top. The sprinkles are lagniappe. Or here’s an example that all my canine friends will understand: It’s like when your human takes out a milk bone and you get all excited because you think nothing could possibly be any better than a milk bone, and then your human puts just a bit of peanut butter on that milk bone before handing it to you. The peanut butter is lagniappe. So now it is my pleasure to present to you a little lagniappe for you day. Enjoy!
And the winner is . . .
You may recall that last week I wrote about my sweet friend Ku and his new book, Kuruk: The Little Bear That Could. I said that I would have a drawing for a copy of Ku’s book from all the people (and animals) who commented on that post. Well I did. I had never actually done a drawing before, so I did a little Googling to find out how it’s done. I found a great blog post by i’m erika jurney + this is my blog that had all the answers I needed (leave it to a blogger to have all the answers!). So, on the first random drawing, the winner was Commenter Number 7–Ku. I figured he didn’t need to have a copy of his own book, so I tried again, and this time the winner was Commenter Number 11, Jan from Wag ‘n Woof Pets. I put a copy of the book in the mail yesterday (well, technically my human mommy went to the post office because I am not allowed inside there), so Jan should have Ku’s book in time for some nice weekend reading. Congratulations on your lagniappe, Jan, and enjoy!
Miss Harper Lee’s Book Club
Well, if Oprah Winfrey can do it, why can’t I? The next book that I would like to recommend to you and any young children in your life is Sugar the Golden Retriever’s Sugar’s Furry Friend, which is all about Sugar and her little backyard chipmunk friend. Sugar celebrated her 12th BarkDay last month. She had her own random drawing from everyone who joined in on her barkday blog hop, and I won her book! In addition to sending her book, Sugar sent the sweetest note on her very own stationery (I’m still waiting for my mommy to get my stationery) and a See Beautiful dog tag. You can click here to read all about See Beautiful and to learn more about how to order Sugar’s book. Thanks for the lagniappe, Sugar!
Thank you, Paws It On
I think my humans are starting to get a little jealous. My mailman Mr. Leroy brings the best packages for me, and they just keep getting bills. Sorry, humans. Last week I received some super yummy treats from my friends at Paws It On. Click here to visit the Paws It On blog, see more pictures of me enjoying my treats, and find out how you can nominate a special friend for a Paws It On treat. Thanks for the tasty lagniappe, Paws It On!
It’s Blogging Awards Time
Last month, I received the Bouquet of Three Award from my cute little piggy friend Bacon at Pig Love. Thank you, Bacon, for the beautiful award, which I presented to my friend Maryanne Mistretta on her birthday . . . a bouquet of birthday flowers in the form of an award.
And a big thank you to Peppino at Pippy Monster for the Super Sweet Blogging Award and the Versatile Blogger Award. I hope that you’ll click here to visit Pippy and that you’ll also visit my Super Sweet Blogging Award and Versatile Blogger Award nominees. Being rewarded for something that you love to do. Does anything say lagniappe more than that? I think not!
Posted: September 6, 2013 Filed under: Dogs I Like, Places I Like, Things I Like | Tags: Awards, B&B, Bed & Breakfast, Butler Greenwood, Dogs, Explorer Dog Award, Golden Retriever, Harper Lee, New Orleans, NOLA, Pet Friendly, Pets, Plantations, Thek9harperlee
A few weeks ago, my beautiful friend Misaki who writes The Misadventures of Misaki presented me with the Explorer Dog Award. This fun, new award was created just last month by Cat (a dog) from Camping & Exploring with Dogs.
Here are the rules:
1. Link to the person (or dog) who gave the award to you and display it on your bloggy. Check!
2. Nominate up to five friends. Here they are!
Bacon from Pig Love
–Bacon is slowing but surely exploring the great outdoors, but his explorations within the Hotel Thompson are pretty exciting, too! Bacon isn’t a dog but, for the purposes of this award, I proclaim him an honorary dog.
- Matilda from Matilda’s Journey–This sweet girl has explored cancer treatment, which isn’t a fun exploration at all. But the good news is that she is doing very well and getting out to explore the sidewalks of Brooklyn.
- Roy from Following Roy–In the last few weeks, this little Aussie has gone from sandy beaches to snowy mountains. Now that’s some exploring! And he never left his home continent. Who knew Australia had snowy mountains?
- Ruby from Ruby the Airedale–Ruby is the funniest girl (or, as she would say, gurl) in all of blogdom, and she leaves the very best comments on everyone’s blogs. I would like to explore her mind, because I’ll bet that’s one fun place!
- Sage from The (mis)Adventures of Sage–This award should probably be called The Sage Award, because every day is a great exploration for this girl, and she never met a mud puddle she didn’t like.
3. Answer the following questions:
What is your favorite place to explore? Link to it.
This one is just a little bit tough because I actually have two favorite places. Sometimes I like to explore in the city, and my favorite city to visit is New Orleans, Louisiana. I have written several blog posts about my Crescent City trips, but you can click here to read about my most recent adventures this past April. Other times I like to explore in the country, and my favorite country getaway is Butler Greenwood Plantation and Bed and Breakfast in St. Francisville, Louisiana. My last trip to Butler Greenwood was this past May and I had so much fun (you can click here to read more about it). I saw chipmunks and a peacock and baby birds and ducks and frogs and fireflies. And those were just the animals that I saw. You can only imagine all the things I heard and smelled early in the morning and late in the evening. Wow! I’m getting excited just thinking about all the exploring I did. As you can see, my explorations came to a screeching halt after May. That’s because it’s just too hot where I live for puppy dogs to do much in the summer; but my humans promise me that when the cooler temperatures return in October, I’ll be hitting the road again. I’m holding them to that promise.
Have you ever found anything exciting/interesting whilst exploring?
One time while I was exploring in New Orleans, I found a bar. Does that sound bad? Let me explain. My hotel was just around the corner from a place called The District, and every time we walked past it I tugged on my leash to go through the door. Finally, my mommy went inside and asked the bartender if I could just step inside to get it out of my system. Well, turns out The District is a pet-friendly place (I was trying to tell my humans that) and I had a blast. It’s now a must-visit spot when I travel to New Orleans.
What do you like to explore more, beach or park?
Well, now you’ve hit a nerve. You see, I’ve never been to the beach. A beach trip is one of my goals, and it will happen, but it hasn’t happened yet. So, reluctantly, I must answer park on this one, because I have been to several parks and I have had fun. But I still want to go to the beach.
What is your favorite post you have written? Link to it.
“Visiting Hours at Squeaky Toy Hospital”–and, by the way, Hedgehog is still hanging in there!
Posted: August 19, 2013 Filed under: People I Like | Tags: Awards, Blogging, Bouquet of Three Award, Dogs, Golden Retriever, Harper Lee, Maryanne Mistretta, Pets, Thek9harperlee
Happy Birthday to my blogging friend Miss Maryanne!
I hope that you have had a wonderful day and that all of your wishes come true.
In celebration of your special day, I present to you the Bouquet of Three Award.
I received the award from Bacon at Pig Love, and I am passing it on to you.
There are rules, but because it’s your special day I give you permission to ignore the rules.
Think of it as a beautiful bouquet of flowers (bloggy style)!
I hope everyone will click here to visit Maryanne Mistretta and wish her the happiest of happy birthdays!
Posted: August 6, 2013 Filed under: Dogs I Like, People I Like, Things I Like | Tags: Awards, Dogs, Golden Retriever, Harper Lee, Loyal Reader Award, My Yard, Pets, Thek9harperlee, Watermelon
Late last week, my human mommy went to the store and came home with the biggest, strangest, heaviest ball I had ever seen.
I tried and tried to pick it up and run with it, but that strange ball was just too big and too heavy . . . even for my huge Golden Retriever mouth.
Then my human daddy took a giant knife and cut that odd ball right in half. I will tell you that at first I was more than a little shocked and somewhat frightened. Was it bleeding? Had Daddy killed it? But my humans kept saying, “Taste it, Harper Lee. Taste it!” And so I did, because I am obedient. At first lick I knew just exactly what I was tasting: Watermelon! This was not my first watermelon experience. Earlier this summer, when I visited my human grandparents in Texas, I had my first taste of watermelon; but that watermelon came pre-cut in a little plastic container. This watermelon was the real deal.
As Daddy held my first real slice of watermelon, I started eating . . .
. . . and then I really got into it. I ate a lot of watermelon. I think it may be the very best thing I have ever eaten.
It was certainly one of the messiest things I’ve ever eaten. Watermelon was all over my mouth, so I licked . . .
. . . and then I really licked . . .
. . . but that watermelon was still there, and so I asked Daddy very nicely if he would please wipe my mouth with some paper towels, which he did.
Now, I don’t want you to think that my humans missed out on all the weekend watermelon fun. Trust me, they didn’t. They enjoyed their watermelon in the form of an adult beverage. Watermelon margaritas, anyone?
When Mommy planned our watermelon experience for Saturday, August 3, she had absolutely no idea that we would actually be celebrating National Watermelon Day in the most appropriate way. Leave it to our little friend Bacon of Pig Love to keep us informed about the most important “holidays.” You can click here to read all about Bacon’s fun with watermelon. You’ll definitely want to see his photos! And speaking of Bacon, last week that cute little piggy presented me with the Loyal Reader Award. Thank you so much, Bacon.
Here are the rules to the Loyal Reader Award:
1. Display this award on your blog. – Done!
2. Thank the person who sent it to you. – Thank you, Bacon!
3. Answer a question of the author’s choosing. – About to be done!
4. Pass the award along to everyone you consider a loyal reader. – As Bacon said, this is the hard part. I appreciate all of my readers, whether you’ve followed me from the beginning or found me recently. I appreciate my friends who read every single post, and I appreciate readers who have been drawn to just one or two posts. I appreciate my readers who make comments, those who click the “Like” button, and those who take a look and then move along. Many, many thanks to all of you!
The Question: If I am a tree, will I become a book or furniture?
My Answer: My answer to this one has to be book, and not just any book. If I am a tree, I will become To Kill a Mockingbird by the human Harper Lee.
And here are my nominees:
Dakota at Dakota’s Den
Donna at we live in a flat
Jo at The Sundog Drift
Ruby at Ruby the Airedale
And finally, I present a very special Loyal Reader Award to each and every one of my non-blogging readers. It’s one thing for fellow bloggers to support each other. It is another thing entirely for you to subscribe to and visit a blog. Thank you!
So here is my question to each of my nominees and to everyone who is reading this blog post:
If you could be a bird or a fish, which would you be and why?
I cannot wait to read your answers!