My Golden Bucket ListPosted: October 18, 2013
Early next year, I’m going to be five years old. Sometimes I wonder where the years have gone. It seems like just yesterday I was playing with my litter mates when two people who would become my human mommy and daddy came to visit, spotted me, and fell in love. For a Golden Retriever, five years can be considered middle age. I think that might possibly be why I find myself having a bit of a mid-life crisis.
The other day, I was visiting my blog friends at Me, You and Zu. They’re hosting ZuZu’s Halloween Challenge with a different topic for every day. Unfortunately, my human mommy failed to get her act together enough to help me participate in the challenge (honestly, I sometimes wonder why I continue to keep her around to assist me; oh, that’s right, I need a photographer and she works cheap); but I hope that you’ll click here to see what it’s all about and play along through the end of the month. When I was reading the challenge items, this one for Day 10 caught my eye: Five things you have or would put on your bucket list. This one spoke loudly and clearly to my mid-life crisis. So, without further ado, I give you my Golden Bucket List.
1. Become an AKC Canine Good Citizen—My Mommy has talked about doing this since I was less than two years old. I’ve been going to obedience school since I was six months old. I’ve completed beginner, intermediate, and advanced training, and for the last couple of years I have been doing what Mommy likes to call “post-graduate studies in obedience.” Don’t you think it’s about time I go ahead and take this test? I think Mommy’s fear is that we’ll fail. So we fail, Then we’ll know what we need to work on and we can take it again. There. It’s out there. Now it has to happen.
2. Go to the beach–I finally made it into water last week when I visited the dog park, but I still want to go to a beach. I thought I might get to visit a beach this month, but then my humans planned some fancy humans-only getaway, so there went that. Now I think my humans really owe me a trip to the beach. Blondes love Spring Break!
3. March in the Baton Rouge Mardi Gras Krewe of Mutts Parade–This fun event benefits our local animal shelter and brings together animals of very sort in fascinating costumes for one of the best Mardi Gras parades around. And somehow every year when the special date rolls around, my humans end up being out of town. Time to check the calendar and get this one
penciled penned in.
4. Go on a Road Trip to Key West–Practically since the day I came to live with my humans, my Daddy has been saying, “We’re going to take a road trip to Key West with Harper Lee.” My humans have researched routes and pet-friendly hotels and restaurants, and somehow this trip just hasn’t happened yet. Well, we’re not getting any younger humans and this Golden girl’s ready to party on Duval Street! With this one little trip, we could also visit a beach, thereby knocking off two Bucket List items. Plus, we need to get this one out of the way before Bucket List Item 5 happens. Are you ready for this one? Drum roll please.
5. Be a big sister–As I said earlier, I’ll be five years old next year. I think that’s a very good time to become a big sister. I’ve matured enough that I’m really absolutely no trouble at all, so Mommy would have lots of time to devote to my new little sister; and I’m still young enough that I could be a good playmate to a younger dog. I promise to help train my little sister and to take care of her. Please, humans, please, can I have a puppy?
So there you have it. Five items on my Bucket List. What’s on your Bucket List?